Get Involved with the Phenomenon
Outlander and West Lothian have a lot of important connections. The show uses a number of different West Lothian areas such as Hopetoun House and Linlithgow Palace as key filming locations which has raised the profile of the area even further. The ‘Outlander effect’ has seen a 43% increase in numbers at Linlithgow Palace and many other visitor attractions in the area have seen visitor numbers rise.
Here are a number of different methods you can use to incorporate Outlander into your business:
- Put up Outlander quotes or phrases in your place of business.
- Get involved on social media by doing Outlander posts and sharing updates.
- Play the soundtrack in your property, vehicle or shop (license needed).
- Purchase Outlander "character cardboard cutouts" to allow tourists to take pictures with their favourite characters.
- Host Outlander book readings and library events - take advantage of other occasions, e.g. Book Week Scotland, World Outlander Day, St Andrew's Day etc.
- Storytelling events - link these events to themes in the storylines e.g. history, battles, myths, legends, folklore, witchcraft etc.
- Highlight ceilidhs and traditional music events to your visitors when they book or arrive.
- Collaborate with local businesses to create a community wide event or itinerary to promote to your guests - this allows for an opportunity for cross selling of business.
- Provide items for competitions and fan events, in return for exposure - e.g. rooms, tours, experiences.
These are just some ways you can get involved. We hope you use some of these methods to further connect your business with Outlander.