Clan Cairns History
This important Scottish Clan first originated in the West Lothian town of Mid-Calder.
The first recorded information of this clan is of William de Carnys who witnessed a charter in 1349. Throughout the 14th century this name is recorded on many occasions, and it was particularly common in the mid and west Lothian areas.
In 1372 William de Carnys was constable of Linlithgow Palace and later, of Edinburgh Castle.
Futher down the line we have Thomas de Karnys, who was a cleric and notary public of the diocese of St Andrews and William de Karnis held the same office in 1406.
The clan also had their own caslte "Cairn Caslte" located at the south west end of Harperrig Resovoir.
For more information about this interesting peiece of West Lothian's history click here.